Pages

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

When an Artist is Inspired

This is one of the things that can happen when an artist is inspired. If it seemed the trees changed colors quickly this year, then how quickly they shed their leaves has been even more shocking! There is still a fair amount of color in the woods, but it has been very windy here lately and the spirits of Autumn have stripped away the dying leaves.

The paintings below were inspired by the colors of Fall.

Changing - 18" x 24" x .75" Acrylic on stretched canvas. Pallet knife painting.

Fall in the Valley - 18" x 24" Acrylic on stretched canvas.

Cropped section of "Fall in the Valley"

Cropped section of "Fall in the Valley"
Both of these paintings are made up places. I looked at a couple photos as I painted them, and took bits and pieces of each as I drew out and painted them both. I still have a few things to add to "Fall in the Valley", so it is not quite finished.




In other news, I have made my submissions to the upcoming BIG annual Art Guild Show and Sale in St Thomas on November 9th 'til 11th at the Historical Train Station(1) .

I am a member of the St Thomas-Elgin Artist Guild which holds this show every year and call it T'was the Art Before Christmas Show. The sad news is that I won't be able to attend myself this year because I have my knee surgery scheduled for the 9th! Talk about bad timing, but the Guild has graciously allowed me to show my work.

If you can attend the show, I must say that it is a great opportunity to purchase good art at great prices! A percentage of sales goes back to the Guild to support future en-devours, as they work towards promoting art in the region. Money raised at this show, also goes towards paying for the great venue we have at this Historical Building (Train Station)(2). If you have not visited this Historical Landmark yet, this is the perfect excuse to make the time to take it in. They have restored the interior of the building to closely resemble what it might have looked like "back in the day" when trains were our main transportation.

Unfortunately, while researching this fantastic venue, I discovered how poorly represented it is online! (I could not find a website related to it and when you google 'train station in St Thomas', the "Elgin County Railway Museum" comes up several times, which is something different at another location).What a discouragement. I guess you will just have to come see for yourself what an amazing building it has been restored to! I will continue to promote this show around the Aylmer and London area.



Quote of the Day:

We require from buildings two kinds of goodness: first, the doing their practical duty well: then that they be graceful and pleasing in doing it. John Ruskin



Here is a photo of the Train Station venue I found online, with no credits attached...looks like it was winter-time with snow on the ground.

Footnotes:

(1) this link shows you a series of photos before renovations
(2) this link is to the CASO-Canada Southern Railway Station

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...